Positive Thinking Lifestyle Becomes New Case Study Writing Career for Florida Art Teacher
2020 found most of the world sheltered in isolation from the Covid-19 virus. Bonita Mosley was busy at home learning the ins and outs of becoming a freelance writer. Here is how she found her path to the “writers life”.
Bonita received a letter about making a living as a freelance writer, from American Writers and Artists Institute. It piqued her interest, so she tucked it into a drawer for a rainy day. But it was a hurricane that arrived.
She unexpectantly received a medical diagnosis of Immune Deficiency Disease. The colds and viruses of her young students became serious threats to her health, causing Bonita to reluctantly leave her classroom and her teaching career.
Several friends and family suggested she just retire, rest, and for Heaven’s sake- stop learning! Bonita is usually teaching workshops, taking several online courses, or reading from her impressive creativity and positive living library. Her art studio is filled with projects!
Fortunately, she decided she wasn’t ready for a sedentary lifestyle. She missed writing her curriculum, implementing her plans, and working with her team of teachers. Eager to work, Bonita enrolled in the AWAI Accelerated Copywriters Program and dove in. It was exactly what she needed.
But as she studied from the Copywriting Industries’ best writers, questions mounted as she tried to find her skill set and niche. She didn’t have a corporate background or a degree in marketing or business. But, Bonita’s experience as a teacher, artist, writer, worldwide traveler and small business owner gave her depth. AWAI suggested looking to past experiences to choose a place in the writing community. So she started the search for the right place for herself in the writing world.
Experience counts for something!
In 1976, Bonita received a lesson in marketing and customer service she would never forget. During Delta Airline’s Flight Attendant Training, the class was taken to tour the Rolls Royce jet engine hanger. Maintenance workers were lined up to welcome the new Flight Attendants.
It turned out to be so much more than a greeting. A spokesman addressed the class with this message, “Ladies, these engineers and maintenance people are depending on you for their jobs. Their families are depending on you. You are the face of Delta Airlines. The way you conduct yourselves and treat our customers will determine how well our company does and whether we need these people to service our planes.”
Bonita took that charge to heart and applied it to every job she’s worked. Customer service is the heart of marketing.
A few years later, Bonita established a small business, Heritage Decorative Arts. As a Nationally Certified Decorative Artist and Teacher, she provided Interior Decorators with original artwork, wall murals, and hand-painted furniture. She discovered a strength – the ability to take a client’s concept and bring it to life in a beautiful piece of art.
Later, that ability worked beautifully when a published Florida author hired Bonita to illustrate three children’s books. Illustrating meant careful listening to the authors words and heart, then putting them down on paper with lines and colors. Copywriters do the same thing with words. They listen, and bring out the client’s vision for their business and products. But which part of this huge industry should she serve?
A 1999 move to California presented Bonita with a dream opportunity. She became the art teacher of Dr. Robert Schuller’s Crystal Cathedral Academy. Dr. Schuller was her favorite motivational Pastor. The challenge came when she needed to write a full year’s art curriculum from scratch for grades K-9 two weeks before the start of school ! “When faced with a mountain, I will not quit!”, Dr. Schuller said.
One of the main things Bonita enjoyed about teaching was the writing of the curriculum and seeing how it worked. She enjoyed the effort. She loved putting the pieces together like a beautiful puzzle. Each new set of students required thoughtful research and new approaches. She loved the challenge and knew settling for a mediocre job was never going to satisfy her.
The curriculum, which she titled, ” Inquisitive Art”, became the cornerstone of 15 years of teaching and produced thousands of inspired students doing award winning art. It was recognized as an exceptional art program by accreditation programs. The secrets to its success were questions.
“What do these children need to know to be successful with this project? How do I inspire them to use the lessons, to keep creating on their own? What can I teach them that they can’t get out of an ordinary art book or video?”
To enhance the value of the program, she brought in history, science, geography, culture, music, and art techniques. The students loved its fullness! Word spread that something special was going here.
The answer suddenly became clear. “The area which would best use my public service experience, my bringing together a variety of areas of interest, skill in conceptualizing and bringing out a clients vision, and sharing a positive outlook for their business and products was Case Studies and Featured Articles”, Bonita said. With that she enrolled in AWAI’s Case Study Mastery and mentoring program . It turned ourt to be the perfect fit and the ticket she needed to live the “writer’s life.”
The same skills that enabled Bonita to write, teach, and work an excellent art program, were the ones she could use to write Case Studies. AWAI had everything she needed to learn and develop her new specialty.
Yes, Experience is Valuable
- Just as AWAI had suggested, Bonita found that she has some very important marketing skills.
- AWAI Accelerated Programfor Six-Figure Copywriting – Verification Certificate
- AWAI Case Study Mastery Program
- She has public service experience.
- Understands it’s vital to remain true to a company’s mission and purpose
- Believes excellence is a brand and strives to make it hers.
- She has the ability to hear clients, to take their concepts and translate them into a product they desire.
- She understands the power and purpose of positive persuasion
- World travel (42 countries) and overseas living (Taiwan and Jamaica)
- 15 years classroom experience plus home school teaching experience
- Professional, award winning artist
- Leadership in local art organizations and women’s ministries
- Small Business experience
Bonita Found Her Place in the Writing World
Self- Improvement and Lifelong Learning Industry is her natural niche. Case Studies, articles and content writing are her skill set. With the AWAI Verification complete,and the Case Study Mastery Program she is ready for service to tell the success stories of products and services.
- Sales- Mary Kay Cosmetics Consultant
- Sales- Heritage Decorative Arts- marketing artwork to Interior Decorators and businesses
- Public Relations- Delta Airlines Flight Attendant
- Customer service- Delta Airlines
- Customer service- Floral designer for Mitchells Florist
- Educator- Art Teacher for three Christian Schools (15 yrs.)
- Educator – Home school group art teacher
- Writing- Institute for Children’s Literature- article writing
- Writing – Institute for Children’s Literature- marketing
- Writing – co-writing and illustrating three children’s books- published by Amazon
- AWAI Accelerated Copywriting Course – completed and Verified
- AWAI Case Studies Course- certification in progress
- AWAI Self-Improvement Industry Course
- Matt Tommey’s Created to Thrive Mentoring Artists Group
- Blogging Your Passion Course
- Jeff Goins Blogging Course
- Leadership- Vision and thought leader for Lakeland Christian School Art Dept.
- Workshop leader and group facilitator- Artist Gathering Redeemer Church
- Workshop leader- Vision Board workshops